Monday, February 18, 2013

A Pleasant Day Off

Ahhh, it's so nice to have a day off once in a while.

And two Mondays off in a row, to boot.  I am going to be so grumpy come Monday next week.  But currently, I am just basking in my day off.

Do not judge me but I am especially loving that I am getting some time to myself.  It's not that I don't love my husband and love being around him.  I do!  But I was raised that it was a good thing to get some time to yourself every now and again.  I was an only child, and even though my parents were very good, active, involved parents, it was still a childhood that depended a lot on me being able to entertain myself alone.  As such, I developed two things: a good imagination and an ability to sit quietly with my own thoughts.

As a teacher, this never happens.  Especially when you teach elementary school.  If your door is open, someone is walking in it.  When I have a free period where no one is in my classroom using it. . .I lock the door.  And spend at least thirty glorious minutes by myself, just taking care of business.  Yes, it is very difficult to get work done when one is constantly fending off younguns.

It also just so happens that my husband very rarely is not at home when I am, recently.  Which is fine with me.  Usually, on afternoons when he works, I come pick him up after school, so even though I get more work done, I'm not alone.  He recently has gotten the weekends off, too, so even though we get to spend a lot of quality time and do a lot of activities together, I am not alone then either.

Mostly, I'm really okay with this.  If I really need it, I can have alone time at the gym or simply go into our bedroom and shut the door and be in there by myself.  Usually that's all I need, but every now and again I love getting at least a morning or an afternoon to myself.

This is my midday to myself.

And what have I been doing and what shall I do later?

So far, I have cleaned the apartment half, taken a practice test for my teacher test next Saturday, watched a whole movie, cleaned out my backpack, wrote two holiday cards, and made a homemade veggie lasagna.  Noms!  And it's not even noon!  For the afternoon, I am planning on doing some reading, perhaps watching another movie, making dinner, and doing some homework.  Oh, and more cleaning.  I just feel so productive!

And relaxed.

Somehow, when I get some time off on the weekend to really let my mind and body unwind and relax, even if I'm actually doing work, I feel so much more prepared for the week.  And much more cheerful.  I'm sure the kiddos appreciate that, because then I'm much more patient and happy with them, rather than curmudgeonly.

And now to what I've been reading.

Two weekends ago, the hubband and I went down to Phoenix for a wedding (which I realize I have not yet write about, so I will have to do that another time -- suffice it to say it was amazing).  He had some extra audible credits so we got The Hobbit on audiobook.  Man, I forgot what a great little book that is!  So now I'm finishing that up in real book form.

Then of course, I'm still working on Bleak House (when am I not??).  But I just decided the other day that I was in the mood for another Michael Crichton novel, so here I am reading Sphere.  Yes, I'm bad.  Yes, I love Michael Crichton.  He's fluffy enough that I feel my brain gets a bit of a break from the big bads like Mr. Dickens, but not so fluffy I feel like I'm wasting my time or my brain is turning to mush.  In fact, most of his books are technical enough that I end up looking things up and. . .dare I say it?  Learning something!  WHAT IS THAT NONSENSE?

Well anyway.  Enjoy your President's Day off, if you have it!  If not. . SUCKAAAAAAAAAS!




And there's a photo of my lasagna.  In an all edges pan.  Yup.  That's right.  I went there.

Be jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment