Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Little Victories

So recently, a lot of things have been bad/going badly.

1. We had a massive, annoying snow last weekend and a snow day on Friday.
2. It's the end of the grading period this week.
3. It's the week before spring break this week (kids = insane).
4. There have been some unusual and (for professional reasons) unmentionable issues at school.
5. I've been having trouble sleeping.

But today, I felt good.

Like, really good.

So I decided, I was going to look for little victories I could celebrate.  I know I am always looking for stuff like this, but it makes it no less relevant if I repeat myself or rediscover these same truths over and over again.  Sometimes the best truths are the ones that come to you over and over again, just in different situations each time.  The universe is basically always trying to remind me that I'm a worry-wart and a negative person and I need to remember to see the good.  The good is everywhere, if only we look for it.  So here is a list of my small victories recently:

1.  The snow day gave me a nice, relaxing day.
2.  The end of the grading period and the week before spring break means the kids don't have any homework, which means I don't really have homework.
3.  I love my coworkers.  They're genuinely awesome.
4.  I cut back to one (maaaaaaaaaaybe two) cup(s) of coffee per day which is helping the sleep thing.
5.  I finished two books in two weeks.  Yes, they're cheesy thrillers, but still.
6.  I figured out that "Floo Powder" is named that because they travel through chimney flues.  I am too old to just be realizing this now.
7.  I lost 3 pounds.
8.  I ran for 7 minutes straight today.  As a secret fat kid, that was awesome.
9.  I mentioned a book in class a couple of weeks ago, and one of my students who struggles with Language Arts is reading it.  And it's definitely above his level, so he's voluntarily challenging himself. And told me, again voluntarily, who his favorite character is.  Teacher win.  I think I teared up.
10.  I wrote a Game of Thrones quote on the board randomly a couple of weeks ago because I thought it was great and at least 5 kids copied it down into their vocab packets.


In case you're wondering, it went something like this:

The mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
      --George R. R. Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment