Friday, May 4, 2012

Wide Open Spaces

Confession:  I am terrified of moving.

Half of me is the very adventurous type, the let's dunk our whole head underwater and devil-take-the-hindmost type.  The other half of me is the very conservative type.  Not the Rush-Limbaugh-listening, pro-life protesting, gun-toting Republican we've all come to love.  I mean the "boy, that bridge sure does look a little creaky, I think I'm going to take the long way around" type.

Granted, if someone else is being a chicken, then I'm Mrs. "Step Up and Jump in the Freezing Water First".  It's a very odd thing but completely true.  I've even talked to my cousin about it and she has this syndrome too. And, fortunately or unfortunately, I'm married to "Nothing Ever Phases Me" Philip.  Hahaha.  I'm gonna go with fortunately.  But it does tend to make me a little more cautious when nothing ever rumples his feathers.

But this time, I am determined to not be scared.  Or too scared, anyhow.  Change genuinely is good.  I know that's what people always say and everybody always rolls their eyes, but seriously, people!  Change is the only constant.  Oooooooohhh.  Change is the entire reason I can study history.  If there was no change, life would be super boring!  So I want to see you get up, RIGHT NOW, and do a happy dance for change.  That's it, shake that thang.  Yes, I am a gangsta.

Things are changing quite drastically for us.  We're moving to a different city where, granted, I've lived before, but we'll really be striking out on our own.  We're getting an apartment all to ourselves, and for the first time so far (all three weeks of it) being really able to call ourselves a settled married couple.  Soooo excited about that.  I'm already planning holiday decorations.  And Halloween costumes.  I got a new, full-time job, which will just about pay all our bills.  Philip's looking into a part-time job and he's going to finish up school.  We're going to buy our dream couch.  We're going to put away our books on our bookshelves and sit on our couch and watch our TV.  We're really on our way to something.

So things are scary in that they're very different (I mean, I'm going to be a preschool teacher.  I think I'll kick butt at it, but still.  15 children under the age of 4 for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week is going to be a unique experience for me), but it's a good different at the same time.

To that end, I have decided to give this transition ITS OWN THEME SONG.  Theme songs are great and I recommend everyone get one.  I have several.  Now, if someone wants to write me a Vegetable Subduer theme song, I will remunerate them in the form of delicious baked goods.  Probably cookies.  Which are not biscuits, biscuits you put gravy on.  Get it right, British-type peoples.  Anyhow, please write me a theme song.  And further anyhow, I don't care if you don't like country, this song is AWESOME.  And it's my new theme song for three weeks.  And very applicable since we're moving up north, where there is a potential for said spaces.  If you sing this song in, say, San Francisco, you feel very silly indeed.  Here she goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsjYZwCars4

No comments:

Post a Comment