Sunday, August 24, 2014

Stage Whispers and Rainbows

It's that time of year again.  The beginning of school.  As a teacher, this time induces very mixed feelings in me.  I love the kids and teaching and my subjects (and my older kids are wildly funny but also wide-eyedly naive and it's adorable and endearing).  But I hate the bureaucracy, the craziness, and the obligations.  Dear lord, the obligations are unceasing.

On the plus side, I can't seem to access my email at home.  Oh well!

It helps that the children are kind of adorable.  My "no hugging" rule has been completely obliterated by their cuteness, and now I just give hugs left and right.  Sigh.  I have also heard several good jokes (What did Darth Vader pay for his suit?  An arm and a leg.  Ha.), have gotten about six pictures of rainbows and one TARDIS, and no one has puked yet.  Best story yet:  I forgot to send in my attendance sheet, so the front office lady came up to get it.  One of the kids oooooohed at me, and I responded with "everyone makes mistakes, even teachers, we're all human, yada yada," and then one kid, in the loudest stage whisper I've possibly ever heard, turns to no one in particular and says "EXCEPT FOR JESUS."  Pure adorableness.

The thing I really can't wait for, to be honest, is having these first few weeks be over and settling into the routine of the school year.  I hate training the new kids (just know what I want already, dammit!), I hate falling asleep on the couch at 7:30 because I'm not used to it yet, and I hate having all of my free time eaten up by responsibilities or the inability to hold up my own eyelids.  In fact, I am sort of stealing this moment in time.  I really should be doing something of more value: showering, working out, reading, grading, being aggressively affectionate with my husband. . . .  But I am enjoying a little stolen moment.  With a cup of coffee.  Because coffee.

I do have some new, pretty exciting things to keep me occupied, if I ever get the time.  I am working on a long-term hush-hush Christmas project, I am on track with my reading project (finally! It only took a bunch of kids books to get me there), and I bought a Camelback to go with my cool new(ish) hiking boots so I've been hiking a lot recently.  OH and I haven't given up on my novel.  I just haven't written in a while.

It has also been raining like crazy and as such the weather has been cooler, and so all I have wanted recently is for it to be fall already.  I can do without winter, and I'm not the biggest fan of spring up here (it's not very warm and quite blustery), but I am seriously excited for fall.  I love everything about fall.  And fall reminds me of vaguely scary creepy movies that are usually Victorian, either in actuality or in feel.  Anyone got any good recommendations?

Oh, and the new season of Doctor Who is starting!  Looks like it's going to be a busy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment